Accession Number: 85
Missionary Baptists: An Independent Study by Andrew L. Hogue
0.4 Linear Feet
Series I - Missionary
Baptists of Kentucky
Access and Use:
Provenance: The material in this collection was gathered
as part of an Independent Study project (History 490A) by Berea
College student, Andrew L. Hogue in the summer of 2000.
Preferred Citation: Missionary Baptist Study, Berea College
Special Collections & Archives, Berea, Ky.
Overview of the Collection
Materials in this collection include sound recordings of radio
preaching, church worship services, and interviews; letters; Baptist
Association minutes; and other printed items. They also include
Andrew Hogue's review and interpretation of his research and information
on his sources.
A central focus of Andrew Hogue's work was tracing the evolution
of mainstream Baptist thought in South Central Kentucky (Allen,
Barren, and Monroe Counties) over the past fifty years. Doing this
resulted in substantial documentation of the experiences and beliefs
of several ministers, deacons, and other church members.
1 Manuscript Box
||Missionary Baptists of Kentucky
Papers and recordings documenting the history and beliefs of Misionary
Baptists in Kentucky.
- Introduction: A statement by Andrew Hogue of his project goals
and an overview of Baptist origins in Europe, Britain, and North
- Transcripts of fifteen sermons by as many preachers, prepared
from audio tape recordings of radio programs and church services
dating from 1956 to 2000.
- Transcripts of nineteen interviews of elders, deacons and lay
members, prepared from audio tapes recorded by Andrew Hogue during
the spring and summer of 2000.
- Biographical Sketches by Andrew Hogue of eighteen Missionary
Baptist Preachers who worked in the study area during the 20th
- Administrative and methodological materials including the project
proposal, form letters and questionnaires for interview subjects,
project bibliography, and statistics.
- Project final paper by Andrew Hogue
- List by title of primary and secondary sources Andrew Hogue
photocopied for use in the project. (The actual photocopies were
- Missionary Baptist Association Minutes:
- Russell’s Creek Association of United Baptist, 1856
- Siloam Missionary Baptist Association, 1961
- Siloam Missionary Baptist Association, 1964
- Green River Association of United Baptist, 1965
- Liberty Association of Baptists, 1965
- Allen Baptist Association, 1966
- General Association of Missionary Baptists, 1969
- Simpson Baptist Association, 1972
- Siloam Missionary Baptist Association, 1974
- Inventory list of the twenty two audio cassette tapes of sermons
and interviews referenced in the project, along with tapes themselves.
Home > Special
Collections & Archives > Southern