Accession Number: 78
Stuart Robinson School Collection, 1913-1957
Records and photographs
0.1 linear ft.
Access and Use
Access: There are no restrictions placed on this collection
other than federal copyright regulations.
Provenance: Sara Carter Patterson, a former teacher
at the school, donated photos from the 1930s. Berea College Library
staff members formed the collection with documents originally
placed in the vertical files.
Preferred Citation: Stuart Robinson School Collection, 1913-1957,
Berea College Special Collections & Archives, Berea, Ky.
- Appalachian Vertical Files, Special Collections & Archives
Materials include pamphlets
materials documenting the school’s work, as well as photographs taken by
Sara Carter Patterson, who taught at Stuart Robinson in the 1930s.
These are miscellaneous publications and photographs documenting the work
of Stuart Robinson School, a Presbyterian mission effort began in 1913 by the
Rev. Dr. E.O. Guerrant, a medical doctor and evangelist who founded several
schools and churches in eastern Kentucky. The school was located in Blackey,
Letcher County, Kentucky and named for the Rev. Stuart Robinson, a former pastor
of Second Presbyterian Church in Louisville, who was particularly supportive
of such eastern Kentucky mission work. Students at the school held various
labor positions on campus in addition to their academic studies. Among the
school’s more notable graduates are former U.S. Secretary of Commerce,
Juanita Kreps, and Gurney Norman, the University of Kentucky professor who
wrote Divine Right’s Trip. The denomination sold the school
in 1957, but its alumni association has since sponsored reunions and daycamps
for local children.
1 Manuscript Box
- Miscellaneous documents, including pamphlets describing the school's
- Photographs of the buildings, students, and staff, most taken
by Sara Carter Patterson.
Home > Special
Collections & Archives > Southern