Accession Number: 61
The West-Vanhook Family Papers, 1867-1992
Bulk Dates: 1880-1952
2.0 linear feet
Series I - Correspondence
Series II - Family History
Series III - Financial
Series IV - Printed
Series V - Miscellaneous
Related College Archives:
5 Manuscript Boxes
Materials consist of Bank Account Books, Bank Notes, Federal and State Income
Tax receipts, Labor Account Books, and Miscellaneous receipts that tell the
financial history of West-Vanhook farm. The Bank Account books and Bank Notes
show what kinds of things were bought to support a farm. Similarly, the numerous
miscellaneous receipts give a vivid picture of what was purchased on the farm
at different time periods. The labor Account Books are an important source
of information because they list the names of workers hired to work on the
farm. The federal and State Income Tax receipts, 1867-1952, show the kind of
living one could make in the farming business during this period. Materials
are arranged alphabetically by subject, chronologically thereunder.
Box 3, cont.
- Bank Account Books: 1948-1951, Deposit Slips: 1903- 1953; Check
Stubs: 1945-1952; Miscellaneous
- Bank Notes: 1890-1950
- Bank Notes: January-December, 1951
- Bank Notes: January-December, 1952
- Federal Income Tax Receipts: 1919-1920
- Kentucky Farm Account Book: 1921-1922; Ledger: 1901-1916, Workmen's Time
- Labor Account Books: 1954-1959, 1960-1961, 1963
- General: 1940-1953
- Miscellaneous Receipts: Bastin Lumber Co. 1948 / Stockyard Receipts 1933-1961
- Miscellaneous Receipts: J.N. Thompson, 1894 / Sara J. West, 1915
- School Tax Receipts: 1888-1898
- State and County Tax Receipts: 1867-1898
- State and County Tax Receipts: 1903-1952
Materials consist of books and programs that were used by various family members.
W.W. West's New Testament Bible is in the series along with Beulah West's,
Ray's Modern Elementary Arithmetic and Logan West's Steps to Christ.
Materials are arranged alphabetically.
Box 4, cont.
- Historical Sketches of Lancaster and Garrard County,
- New Testament Bible, n.d.
- "Official Program, 17th National Encampment of the G.A.R.," 1936
- Ray's Modern Elementary Arithmetic, 1903
- Steps to Christ, 1908
- The New McGuffy First Reader, 1901
- The Story of the Pinnacle, n.d.
||Box 5, cont.
Materials consist of drawings, receipts, birthday cards, a political flyer,
store advertisements, and a sketch of the Manse cemetery plot. Arrangement
Box 5, cont.
- Miscellaneous: n.d., 1923-1931
Home > Special
Collections & Archives > Southern
Appalachian Archives > Guide to the
West-Vanhook Family Papers