Accession Number: 35
James Still Collection, 1930 - 2001
3.2 linear ft.
Series I - Correspondence
Series II - Biographical
Materials and Photographs
Series III -
Audio and Video Recordings
Series IV - Clippings
Series V - Manuscripts
Series VI - Run
for the Elbertas
Access and Use
Provenance: Initially Loyal Jones donated the core of
the collection, including some photographs contributed by Cumberland
College Library. Al Perrin of Berea and Michael Mullins of Hindman
provided additional materials. Following Still's death his executors
contributed some personal papers to the collection.
Preferred Citation: James Still Collection, Berea College
Special Collections & Archives, Berea, Ky.
Roberts Papers, 1950-1983 , SAA 57
Settlement School Records, 1899-1979, SAA 41
College Sound Archives
8 Manuscript Boxes
||Clippings and Other Materials
This series includes miscellaneous advertisements for Still's
work and promotions of various appearances, plus extensive newspaper
clippings of reviews and other articles on Still (1937-1986) and
columns he wrote, including the Godey Spurlock series. Some clippings
relate to subjects of interest to him. Items by or about other
authors and friends are also included. Clippings about his death
have been added.
- Advertisements for books, plays, poems
- Friends, students, other authors
- Anglin Falls, Videotape proposing a memorial to President
John Stephenson. Removed to Berea College Sound Archives.
- Images (Literary Review, University of North Carolina,
1971) includes Dean Cadle illustrations; Kentucky Writing,
No. 1 & 2 (Morehead State University, 1954, 1956) includes
writing by James Still, Wendell Berry, Albert Stewart, Sylvia
Auxier, Janice Holt Giles, and Jesse Stuart.
- Clippings, n.d.
- Clippings, 1937-63
- Clippings, 1972
- Clippings, 1973
- Clippings, 1974
- Clippings, 1975
- Clippings, 1977
- Clippings, 1978
- Clippings, 1979
- Clippings, 1980
- Clippings, 1981
- Clippings, 1982
- Clippings, 1983
- Clippings, 1984
- Clippings, 1985
- Clippings, 1986
- Clippings, 1987
- Clippings, 1989
- Clippings, 1990-91
- Clippings, 1992-93
- Clippings, 1994 -
- Clippings, Death and Funeral
- Clippings re Thomas Wolfe
- Clippings of Still works, in some cases the first version in
print (1936-1982, & nd.); some letters to the editor by Still
- Reprints: "Mrs. Razor," reprinted in Mountain
Life & Work 1954; 30(3):34-37; the James Still issue
of Kentucky Poetry Review 1978;14 (1):3-4, 25-26; "Pattern
of a Man," reprinted in the Troublesome Creek Times;
clipped reprints of poems.
||Manuscript Materials and Reviews
The manuscript materials include a typed manuscript copy of Still's Wolfpen
Poems, published by Berea College (1986). Also present are
typescripts of sixteen short stories and approximately fifty
poems by Still. Many are undated and contain varying amounts
of correction and annotation. Additional manuscripts are Still
short stories (to 1973); the Appalachian Spring collection of
Still's poems (1974); and Another Time, a collection of
short stories. Other items include essays and a copy of his master's
thesis at Vanderbilt University. Reviews, early bibliographies
and scholarly studies of Still's literary work complete this
Box 6, continued
- Draft of M.A. thesis (Vanderbilt University, 1930) on the dream
as a literary device in Middle English Romances
- "Eugene O'Neill," typewritten critique c. 1930
- Term paper: "Gustavus Adolphus and the Development of
- "The Legislative Reference Library of Wisconsin," [1930?]
- "Nancy Hanks," a play in ms.
- "School Butter," short story ms.
- "One Leg Gone to Judgment," short story ms.
- "Locust Summer," short story ms.
- "A Ride on the Short Dog," short story ms.
- "The Quare Day," short story ms.
- "A Master Time," short story ms., 1948
- Another Time: collection of stories in manuscript
- "Maybird Upshaw," short story ms., 1955
- "The Moving," short story ms.
- "The Nest," short story ms., 1955
- "The Pattern of a Man," short story ms., 1955
- "The Sharp Tack," short story ms., 1955
- "The Stir-off," short story ms., 2 drafts
- "The Proud Walker," short story ms.
- "The Fun Fox," short story ms., 1970
- "Journey to the Forks [Run for the Elbertas]," short
story ms., 1970
- "The Scrape," short story ms., 1970
- Notes for revision of River of Earth
- Wolfpen Poems 1984 publication manuscript, with related
- "Are you up there?" holograph poem and revision,
- Miscellaneous poems
- Limited edition prints of several Still poems
- Story outline; revisions for "Man in the Bushes"
- Early bibliographies
- Reviews, 1940-1979
- Commentary, reviews
- Critical papers written by Berea students
- Critical papers by MW Clarke, R.M. Foshee, Joe Glaser, Dean
Cadle; article in Bulletin of the Kentucky Association of
School Librarians, 1968;IV(2):pp8-18; the James Still issue
of Foxfire 1988; 22 (3)[interview, photos, and excerpts
from the Wolfpen Notebooks]; and the James Still
issue of The Iron Mountain Review 1984;II(1)[interview,
bibliography, and 3 articles].
||Run for the Elbertas
This series documents the stages of collection, reivision, proofing,
and publication of the collection of Still's short stories entitled
Run for the Elbertas.
- Duplicate galley of Run for the Elbertas
- Proofed galley of Run for the Elbertas
- Galley proofs
- Copyedited typescript of Run for the Elbertas
- Clean copies of stories collected for Run for the Elbertas
- Drafts of "The Proud Walkers," "Locust Summer," "Journey
to the Forks [Run for the Elbertas]," "The Moving," "School
Butter," "The Burning of the Waters," and "The
- Notes toward collection of Run for the Elbertas
Home > Special
Collections & Archives > Southern
Appalachian Archives > Guide to the James