Hutchins Library
Special Collections & Archives

CSM Intro The Records of the Council of the Southern Mountains, 1970-1989, are now available to the public. This collection includes correspondence and other records documenting the Council’s work of promoting mine health and safety, community unions, and welfare programs, among other projects. Other records consist of the Appalachian Book and Record Shop's activities and the production of Mountain Life & Work. Many people have been interested in the Council's activities, especially in its last nineteen years, and will find a wealth of information.

Photos included (clockwise from left): Bob Connor, Coal Miner Ill with Black Lung, n.d.; Photographer unknown, Women in Mining, n.d.; Photographer unknown, Jean Ritchie, n.d.; Alida Herrick, Strip Mining, Knott County, Kentucky, 1976; Photographer unknown, Elmer Rasnick, n.d.; Earl Dotter, Coal Miner, 1979; Photographer unknown, Hard-working Hands, n.d.; Cathy Stanley, Theresa Talford in Front of Machinery at the Splashdam Mine, 1978; Alexander Marshak, Perley F. Ayer with Young Appalachian Girls, 1952; Photographer unknown, Bill Worthington, staff on the Mine, Health, and Safety Project, n.d.; Cathy Stanley, Almetor King at a CSM Board meeting in Cincinnati, Ohio, 1979; and Cathy Stanley, Miners at Splashdam Mine, Haysi, Virginia, 1981.
The Hutchins Library Special Collections and Archives Division gratefully acknowledges the generous support of the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) grant which made possible the "The Records of the Council of the Southern Mountains, 1970-1989" project and online exhibition.

Home > Special Collections & Archives > Southern Appalachian Archives