Hutchins Library
Special Collections & Archives
Council of the Southern Mountains Exhibit Header
      Special Collections  |  Exhibition Home  |  Overview  |  Online Exhibition  |  Timeline  |  Resources  |  List of Objects  |  Thanks

Thanks & Gratitude

In 2004, Hutchins Library's Special Collections & Archives staff wrote a proposal to the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) requesting a grant to assist in the processing, arrangement, and description of the Council of the Southern Mountains Records, 1970-1989. NHPRC provided this grant, which enabled the hiring of a Project Archivist for a period of two years to administer the project's completion. The staff is grateful for the generous support from NHPRC. Scholars, researchers, educators, and students now will have access to this wealth of information which documents change and growth in the Appalachian region during the 1970s and 1980s.

I, Laura Heller, the project archivist hired to work on the CSM Project also gratefully thanks Shannon Wilson, Harry Rice, and Steve Gowler for hiring me to carry out the project's work. I also thank them for their assistance in answering all my questions pertaining to the history of the Council. Working with them has been a joy. I also want to thank Grace Sears for assisting me in some of my random questions, and John Bondurant for digitizing the 7 inch reel-to-reel audio. I also appreciated Susan Henthorn's patience, help, and Dreamweaver tips in the creation of the online finding aid and exhibition website, and Francie Bauer's assistance in writing the MARC record. Thanks also goes to Chris Miller and his student staff for their work in creating the on-campus exhibition for the CSM Records, 1970-1989, in the library.

Last, but not least, much gratitude goes out to all the student workers who assisted in countless tasks, from removing rusty staples and paperclips, labeling folders, alphabetizing correspondence, processing various records, organizing photographs, typing box labels and folder lists, and many other jobs that made completion of this project possible. Your work on this collection does not go without notice. So I thank the following students, in alphabetical order:

Bridgette Bynum
Angela Denmark
Krista Dulaney
Josh Duncan
Vanessa Harper
Nora Hersey
Zachary Kagley
Jake Krack
Harrison Levans
Amanda Lucas
Amanda Masden
Justin McGranahan
Brandon Music
Kevin Puckett
Sarah Ramsey
Sara Rhatican
Nick Shaner
Erica Tindall
Ben Trute
Brittney Westbrook

Sincerely,
Laura Anne Heller,
Project Archivist of the Council of the Southern Mountains Records, 1970-1989.
2004-2006.
Special Collections | Exhibition Home | Overview | Online Exhibition | Timeline | Resources | List of Objects | Thanks