Four back issues of Appalachian Heritage are special combined commemorative issues:
- Spring/Summer 1988 - All other issues take pride in being inclusive of emerging writers as well as established ones, but this issue contains only work by established regional writers.
- Winter/Spring 1985 - The first issue published by the second editor of Appalachian Heritage, Sidney Saylor Farr, and the first published by Berea College.
- Winter/Spring 1982 - The first issue published from Hindman, the county seat of Knott County, not by Alice Lloyd College in Pippa Passes in the same Eastern Kentucky county.
- Fall 1974/Winter 1975 is a Knott County Issue highlighting the Eastern Kentucky County where Appalachian Heritage had always been published up to that time on the occasion of the Kentucky Bicentennial.
Other special issues include:
- One extra issue was published for June 1994 - Honoring the contribution of Loyal Jones
Three issues included music CDs, which are sold separately for $8.00 each, the same price as the other back issues:
- Winter 2008 - Appalachian Tapestry, music from Billy Edd Wheeler
- Fall 2002 - Music from Black Appalachian Artists
- Fall 2001 - Music from the Berea College Celebration of Traditional Music
Special regular issues:
- Winter 2013 – 40th Anniversary Respective
- Winter 1995 – Commemorating John B. Stephenson
- June 1994 – Commemorating Loyal Jones
- Spring 1993 – Commemorating Harry M. Caudill
- Winter 1993 – Commemorating the 20th Anniversary of the magazine
- Fall 1991 – Blacks in Appalachia
- Summer 1977 – Honoring Emily Ann Smith
Berea, KY 40404